Sunday, March 8, 2009

Blustery day + tornado warning = good time to stay inside and knit!

After getting all funky-smelling from going down to A Total Tan in Harrison (and - obviously - tanning), I went with my mom and Megan (from across the street) to Big Lots. The original plan was to look at camping stuff (lights, decorations, etc.), but I diverged from the plan. I ended up getting more stuff for gardening. Surprise, surprise. Since the garden is going to be located at the very back of the yard, behind the pool, I figured that I'd probably need to get some more garden hose to reach around said pool, and have enough hose available to water the garden. This led to me purchasing a 25' garden hose (which will be attached to the existing hose ... somehow) and a 50' soaker hose. I've always wanted one of those, and I figured I might as well get it, seeing as how it was only about $8.

And on my way out, what do I see? Garden statuaries. I love garden statuaries - of the whimsical varieties. I don't like the angels, or the little kids, or the bears. I enjoy the gnomes, butterflies, fairies, and frogs. So, I had to get 2 gnomes, as well.

After leaving Big Lots, we did a quick trip into CVS, then headed home, where I immediately headed out back to view the garden area again. I was getting tired of just trying to imagine how much space the garden would take up - because I'm horrible with estimating distance - and decided that today would be a good day to get some stakes and drive them into what would be the corners of the garden.

So, I grabbed some tools out of my dad's workshop (don't worry Dad, I put them back in their places!), four stakes, and headed outside. The dogs seemed particularly interested in running around in the spots that I needed to stake, so after throwing their stick that they 'borrowed' from the fire pit, I was able to measure out the 20' x 15' plot, and drive the stakes into the ground. My only concern now is the slight dip that cuts through the garden, from where runoff over the years has made its way down to the pond further back in the subdivision. Hopefully, it can be easily redirected.

I think my next course of action for the garden will be to buy some seed starting mixture and decide which plants I'm going to start in my plastic grow dome first. Hopefully, the tornado watch that we're currently under will dissipate, and I'll be able to head back down to Harrison to get those supplies tonight! If not, then tonight will be a good night to stay indoors and finish the sweater I've been knitting for the past 3 months!

0 comments: