Saturday, August 1, 2009

Midsummer Review (Late Post)

I originally meant to post this in July. But, being as I'm lazy, I'm posting it in September. Enjoy.

So, now that the gardening season is in full swing, and produce is starting to come in, I figured it would be time to go ahead and decide what I like and dislike, so far.



A big hit this year was the zucchini. Every time I brought some in to work, people were amazed at how big they were. I have two 1-gal. freezer bags full of chopped zucchini, and I've made a few loaves of zucchini bread, as well as a zucchini cake or two. They're still coming in, too. We've had so much rain this year, though, that they're starting to wilt with what I believe is powdery mildew. Of course, it could've been the beating of the rain that's caused them to topple a bit. I'd hate to see them die off.



I'm a little torn on the tomatoes this year. While we're finally starting to get some in, they aren't very big, and it's taking them forever to ripen. Perhaps it's the variety of tomato that was planted, or the conditions.

0 comments: