Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Things don't always turn out as planned ...

So, we've got the garden planted. I had somehow imagined it as a bountiful, overflowing jungle of vegetables and fruits. Didn't turn out that way. We only have tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, anaheim chili peppers, serrano peppers, zucchini, onions, and potatoes. Of course, that's not all that's planted, but that's all that's planted in the ground in the garden ...

I "commandeered" some of the pots that the store-bought plants came in, and now have containers of sweet pea, Genovese basil, chives, green onions, and cilantro. Also, there's a window box planter of a self-created lettuce mix hanging from the railing of the pool deck. To top it off, my mom got a lemon tree, and I bought a dwarf peach tree. Unfortunately, my dad put a big negatory on planting any new trees in the yard, considering that he and our neighbor across the street just cut down the ash tree behind the pool a few months ago. I tried explaining that it won't shade the pool, seeing that it'll only get 8' tall (according to the tag), but that was still a no. So, for now, it's still in its pot and burlap sack that it came in from Lowe's. (Mom hints that I put it in the side yard...)

So, here are some pictures of the progress, if it can be called that, that has been made in the garden. The pictures are a bit dated, because I've just now figured out how to add pictures in with the text, so this is a bit of a novelty to me at the moment. Tomorrow, I'll go out and take pictures that are more up-to-date.
Garden all tilled up ... well ... as much as can be expected. The soil around here is made from so much clay that it's hard to get a real good tilling in without having to go through a few years of adding in mulch and other "accessories".
Same thing, except from the view at the end of the pool deck. (By the way, you may notice a brown, barely-raised stump, about 5-7 feet from the garden ... that would be the area where the tree was, that was cut down.)



Our first tomato! "I shall call him Squishy, and he shall be mine, and he will be my Squishy!" In case you haven't noticed, I've not gotten the hang of that whole "focusing" thing yet! :)
Tomato plants, all staked up. Also, some peppers and zucchini ...
More of the same, different angle.

0 comments: